Family homes are multi-generational now more than ever. Whether you have aging parents or adult children moving into the original family home, are working from home while being a fulltime parent, or are a frequent host of guests, considering a suite addition on your home allows you to create comfortable accommodations and separation without compromising any of the luxuries or conveniences of having your own space. Here are some plans to consider if a suite addition is the right fit for you:
- Separate yet attached unit: This is one of the most common styles of suite units, as it allows for a separate living space while minimizing the footprint of your home. This option will allow you to share wall(s) with your already existing home, and leaves the option for sharing some of the amenities of your home such as the full kitchen or dining space.
- Converted basement: The converted basement is one of the most budget-friendly suite options. Going this route will allow you to maintain the footprint you already have, while allowing you to completely build out the space as you please. You can even consider a separate entrance and full kitchen and bath in combination with the sleeping quarters. The possibilities are endless!
- Separate unit: This is a great option for your long term visitors who want the space and independence of their own living space with the comforts of proximity to family and friends. If you have the space, you can consider a brand new stand-alone unit, or maybe converting some portion of your garage or shop space.
Here are some other things to consider when adding a suite addition:
- What are your city zoning laws?
- Do you have accessibility needs?
- Consider your long term plan: Can you rent it out? Use it as office space?
- Does it make financial sense for you and your loved ones?
Regardless of your situation, we can walk you through the entire process to ensure this is the right move for you and your family. Contact us today to learn more.